About Seaport Academy
- Founded in 1999.
- Serving young men, grades 8–12, with nonverbal learning challenges.
- Located on the waterfront in Chelsea, MA.
- Collaborative, flexible community that supports the needs and aspirations of its students.
- State-approved Chapter 766 special education program licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- 28 students.
- 1 to 2 adult-to-student ratio.
- Average class size: 5-7.
- Outstanding, experienced team of teachers and counselors.
- Highly personalized teaching, integrated with learning supports and psychotherapy. Group and individual counseling, and family therapy are part of our program.
- Project-based, experiential curriculum that develops academic and interpersonal abilities.
- Special focus on communication, personal organization, social skills and relationship-building using the Collaborative Problem Solving model.
- Conforms to Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks.
- Interdisciplinary and project-based core academic subjects.
- Strong focus on maritime and historical themes and urban studies.
- Fully integrated service-learning program.
- “Seaport Institutes,” a unique program involving students in extended interdisciplinary projects and presentations.
- College courses at Bunker Hill Community College.
- New technology initiative helps students integrate learning and web-based communication and research tools.
- Competitive, interscholastic teams and a physical education program that encourages healthy activity.
- Outdoor adventures, social events and school trips.
- Afternoon electives and clubs.
- Active parent organization.
- Majority MCAS pass rate by graduation.
- Highly personalized transition program supports students entering careers or choosing higher education.
Seaport Academy is owned and operated by Schools for Children, Inc., a Massachusetts nonprofit 501(c)3 organization that creates and manages great schools and educational services.
285 Commandants Way
Chelsea, MA 02150
© 2010 Seaport Academy